Sunday, October 23, 2011

Writing a PSE feels like I'm on a dinner date with my laptop.

Writing a Personal Statement of Experience (PSE) is actually one of the most tedious things I have ever had to do - and this is coming from someone who has written more papers and worked in more groups than I can even remember in the last three years of my undergraduate degree. There's something extremely cumbersome to me about having to talk about my accomplishments. Most people love the opportunity to be able to expand on their duties in an organization or project beyond just the few bullet points that a resume permits, and I can obviously understand the value, but I just never know what to say.

I've accomplished a lot in my four years of undergrad, and I go above and beyond to build myself up to being an ideal candidate. I'm never not busy - I stretch myself in every degree and in every direction I can think of. But when you put it all in words, I can't help but feel that it's all disingenuous. I did all of this for me - not for the good of the school, the community, my transcript or applications. I did these things because I feel the need to fill all the crevices of my life with things that keep me busy, things that make me feel rewarded. And there's just no way to convey that in text.

No comments:

Post a Comment