Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Point at issue.

Even more than I want people to understand that sexuality is not a choice you make, and God knows how much I want this, I want it to not matter even if it were a choice.

Sometimes when I'm trying to fight for LGBT rights and my best defense is that sexuality is due to genetics and not a conscious choice that someone is making, it makes me sad. It almost feels like I'm saying we should take pity on those who were born with this defect and since it was out of their control, we shouldn't fault them for it. Almost as if I was comparing sexuality to a disability. It just doesn't sit right.

I want sexuality to be accepted, no matter the orientation. Sexual orientation, no matter what it is, should not be seen as a disability or anything that makes anyone less than anyone else. It's not a disadvantage and it's not a defect. So why should it matter whether it's genetic or a choice? Even if someone chooses to be a homosexual, why is that a bad thing?

The more we rely on the "biological" argument for gaining acceptance for the LGBT community, we are obscuring the real issue. LGBT rights shouldn't be granted because people of the community didn't have a choice. It's not a disability that we need to compensate for. The real issue that we should be tackling is the fact that being homosexual is still seen a problem and an unfavorable option in some societies.

What we should be doing is showing that homosexuality is really not that different from heterosexuality beyond the mechanics. What we should be aiming for is equality. Not reluctant acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment