Monday, October 10, 2011

Growing up means getting clever.

When I was young I asked for toys for my birthday. I usually got clothing instead. When I was disappointed, my parents would say to me, "Is that Barbie going to keep you warm?"

When I got older, I asked for electronics for my birthday. Things like ipods, cellphones, and laptops. Again, I usually got clothing instead. When I was disappointed, my parents would say to me, "Is that Blackberry going to keep you warm?"

I noticed a pattern.

For my birthday this year, my parents offered to buy me a MacBook Pro. But when I asked for an Alexander McQueen scarf instead, I could tell my father was disappointed in my choice for the materialistic option as opposed to the practical option. When he asked for an explanation, I replied, "Is the MacBook Pro going to keep me warm?"

Can you really blame me for learning my lesson?

1 comment:

  1. I love when you get to sass a parent using your smarts rather than just being indignant.

    ReplyDelete